A group of approximately 70 islands will make you discover a secret kept for over 5000 years. Today it is the authentic heart of the neolithic period with archealological treasures, declared a Unesco World Heritage site. A vast number of prehistoric sites converge with the sea and Viking era.
Our far ancestors gave way to the Picts and the Northern invaders, the Vikings, who made this magical place their home and operational base.
The Nature and wildlife of the Orkney Islands were and continue being spectators of the destinations of men throughout history.
– Prehistory. As a UNESCO World Heritage Site and known as the “Neolithic Heart” of the Orkney Islands, there is a variety of attractions all guaranteed to make this trip something of wonder and beauty. Orkney has been called an archaeologist’s paradise. The islands now have the highest concentration of prehistoric monuments in Northern Europe.
– Viking legacy and Picts. We must understand that in prehistoric times and up until the 18th century, the Orkney Islands were very strategically situated. They were in a “service area”, along a motorway of trade and travel between Scandanavia and Europe. Real roads didn’t exist, so life at sea was vital.
It became a prosperous place, whose diverse cultures have flourished since prehistoric times and where time has been frozen and preserved so that we can relish in this marvel today.
– Mithology. A surprising richness of mythology, tales, stories, tradition and culture. Orkney was always a place apart, geographically and culturally. After centuries of Norse, Scottish and British rule the islands are still very much a world of their own.
– Crafts. There is a big amount of craftspeople and artists settled in the islands for different good reasons. A wide range of crafts and skills represented in the Orkney Crafts Association, which counts with furniture makers (traditional Orkney chairs), painters, knitwear designers, potters or jewellers.
– Birds. A large number of nature reserves (RSPB. Royal Society for Protection of Birds) attract many ornitologists. Here, you will have the chance to contemplate a curious bird: the puffin!!
– Food. We are enormously proud of what we bring to the marketplace, and we also keen to enhance and promote the famous Orkney brand. Excelent beef for the top restaurants in London, pickled herring, seafood, Orkney Cheddar cheese, Orkney ice cream or fudge.
– Whisky & Beer. We will never forget our best beer and whisky. One of the best beers in the country and one of the best whiskys in the world (Highland Park). This authentic distillery is one of the oldest distilleries in Scotland.
– Light. Perhaps the most striking element of the Orkney world is the special light that sometimes gives the landscape and almost spiritual quality. It comes suddenly and changes everything, making the most ordinary stone house look sculpted.. Light is the dominating factor…beneath a changing sky, Orkney can change from darkness to a radiant panorama of lakes and grassy mounds and hills. It is a kind of dance.
– Aurora Borealis. This lattitude also allows us to spot the magical northern lights, Aurora Borealis. With the vast array of landscapes contained within the island, the purity of its skies, and its prehistoric sites, your experience is transformed into something truly sensational.
– People and kindness. There is a different rhytm to island life, another concept of time, and the stresses and problems of modern life seem far away.
Looking forward to see you soon!!