West Mainland Tour
(1st May until 30th September) Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday - 10.30am Start
Out of season and on other days not listed, we may be able to run this tour by request, please contact us for details
The West Mainland Tour takes you to some of the most fabulous spots on the West Mainland of Orkney. The tour takes a scenic drive looking at the magnificent Scapa Flow, which was the main British naval base during both World Wars. Your guide will tell you about some of the major events that happened in the waters of Scapa Flow.
The first stop is a photo stop at the Cliffs of Yesnaby, some of the most stunning coastal scenery on the Orkney Islands.
Next on the agenda is a guided tour of Skara Brae, discovered in 1850, it is considered the best-preserved Neolithic Village in Northern Europe. Your guide will tell you all about this magnificent 5000-year-old village. After the guided tour, you will get free time to have a look at the 400-year-old Skaill House or have a look around the Skara Brae visitor centre.
The tour then goes on to the Ring of Brodgar. A spectacular henge monument dating back 4500 years. This stone circle has been part of the Orkney landscape for thousands of years.
Finally, we will stop at the Standing Stones of Stenness, which is believed to be the oldest stone circle in the UK.
All this for only £69 per person
- Scapa Flow - Stunning scenic views across this famous stretch of water used by the Royal Navy during both World Wars.
- Cliffs of Yesnaby - dramatic cliffs and stunning scenery.
- Standing Stones of Stenness - The smaller of two stone circles we will visit today, a beautiful monument built around 3100BC.
- Ring of Brodgar - Stone circle and henge monument estimated to be around 4500 years old. Originally made up of 60 standing stones 27 remain standing today.
- Skara Brae- 5000 year old stone-age village, discovered in 1850 when a great storm blew away a sand dune to reveal the village beneath. (optional visit of Skaill House, one of Orkney's finest manor houses)
Meeting Point: Kirkwall Travel Centre
When: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Start Time: 10.30am
Duration: 4 hours
Please bring snacks as there is no lunch stop on this tour
8 seat minibus. Either Peugeot Expert Tepee or Citroen Dispatch
- Driver Commentary
- Guided Tour of Skara Brae and Ring of Brodgar
- Admission Tickets
- Complimentary Water